About this blog
I write about communication, leadership and change, drawing on a 30-year career in journalism, public relations and management. Join me on the journey!
- Using digital tools to make change stick
- To subcontract or not to subcontract, that is the question
- Strunk & White’s little book on style still packs a punch
- Social media’s growing influence with consumers
- Great leadership, like storytelling, answers ‘why’ not ‘how’
- Are you the Duck tape or Allen wrench of your organization?
- On rereading ‘Walden’ and the seasons of life
Category Archives: Purpose
Years ago, when I was working at a DC trade association, the CEO stopped by my office one night before heading out the door. “Why do businesses fail?” he asked me. I could think of many reasons, but I knew … Continue reading
Over the past week I’ve been collecting nuggets of wisdom to impart to you, dear reader—veritable gems, I tell you. Actually, I’ve discovered that it’s far easier to string together three little stories than to write a regular blog post. … Continue reading
There I was, a U.Va. graduate, in the heart of the Hokie Nation, watching my son receive his undergraduate degree in construction engineering from Virginia Tech. Putting aside all of the jokes we U.Va. grads make about Hokies being farmers … Continue reading
Walking through my house after being gone for four months, I was struck by what I hadn’t missed while I was away. I didn’t miss my belongings or the furniture or even the neighborhood. Within a day, though, I was … Continue reading
In the mornings lately, when I take a shower and dry my hair, I’ve noticed a little thinning on top. Uh-oh. My hair has always been what shampoo makers call “fine,” but nowadays it seems to be even finer—so fine … Continue reading